The hunting lodge

In 1623, a hunting lodge was built by Nicolas Huau to receive king Louis XIII when he came hunting near the village of Versailles. In 1631, the architect Philibert Le Roy embellished the building: the facades were remade in brick and stone; gardens were arranged into French formal gardens and decorated with original designs. The hunting lodge’s plan traces a U and corresponds to the buildings surrounding the current Marble Court.