The Royal Chapel

Four chapels followed one another until Louis XIV, Most Christian king, undertook in 1689 the construction of a place of worship worthy of the palace. Achieved by the architects Jules Hardouin-Mansart and Robert de Cotte, the chapel was decorated by the most talented artists of the time. Consecrated in 1710, it was dedicated to Saint Louis, patron saint of the French monarchy. Music by Couperin, Lully and Charpentier was played during services.