After the fall of Napoléon III, the National Assembly was elected in 1871 and met up in Bordeaux. Mainly composed of monarchists, it wished to get closer to Paris without entering the city, scared of the Commune uprising. The 722 members of the National Assembly were assigned the palace's South Wing, where a new room were designed for them in 1875 by Edmond Joly. They stayed in Versailles until 1879, before returning to Paris. Nowadays, constitutional amendments are passed in this room.